Happy Friday with a Soundtrack– Tree Trimming Edition
Happy Friday, everyone!
D and I are planning on putting up our tree and the rest of our holiday decor tonight after work (because the ornament trifle and possibly-ugly-epic-fail-ornament-chandelier are getting lonely), and I am very excited. While we decorate, we’ll be putting our Yule Log DVD on to play in the background (we got it at Walmart a few years ago for $3, and since we don’t have a fireplace, we appreciate the “real fire crackling sounds” as well as the utter cheesiness of having a Yule Log DVD).
We are also going to be drinking mulled cider, which is one of my favorite holiday traditions. I got this recipe from my friend Jules a few years ago and have made it for pretty much every holiday-related function I’ve attended since then.
Reasons mulled cider is awesome: It’s simple, pretty cheap, is delicious, “optionally” alcoholic, and makes everything smell like awesome holiday. You should totally try it.
Mulled Apple Cider Recipe:
In a large stock pot or crock pot put the following ingredients:
- 1 gallon of apple cider (available in the refrigerated section of most grocery store produce areas)
- 1 orange (whole, not cut up or anything)
- 2 cinnamon sticks and 5-7 cloves secured together in a cheesecloth bundle (or in a coffee filter)
- Simmer on low or cook on low in the slow cooker for 4 hours or more.
- If you want to add alcohol, you can add in Brandy or Whiskey (and although I have never tried it, I imagine spiced rum might also be good). Add the amount of your choice about 1/2 hour before serving (we usually do about 1 and 1/2 cups of brandy).
- Sip and enjoy the warm christmas-y goodness!
I’ll be sure to post some photos of our apartment all decked out once we have everything put up! Have you put up your Christmas decor yet? If so, please feel free to share in the comment section– I’d love to see it!
And for the soundtrack for the rest of your Friday, I leave you with Tiny Tree Christmas by Guster. I got this song off of a free album download that Target had last year called “The Christmas Gig”, which was totally awesome. I was hoping they would have another, equally awesome, free download of Christmas tunes for this year, but not so far.